February 26, 2005

That Darn Devil

Should Satan be a bigger part of mainstream Christian beliefs?

The Devil should remain a marginal part of Christian doctrine for two reasons. First, the most difficult temptation is very personal. If the Devil visited me tonight, I would not have a problem saying no to him, whatever he said. It is when the temptations come from my own mind (or my friends') that it is hard to say no. Second, people choose to do evil not the devil. Blaming the devil for evil or temptation misses the point and risks abdicating our individual responsiblity for choosing it.


Errata: This post was prompted by a conversation with a Seventh Day Adventist.

4 Comments:

  • Hey that's so true isn't it! But then I haven't really noticed the devil given a lot of air time from the pulpit in the circles I run in. Of course, neither is the Holy Spirit these days either. Hmmm.....wonder what that means?

    By Blogger Dot Bar, at 9:47 PM  

  • I've heard quite a bit about the Holy Spirit, but that probably reflects more on my past work as a camp counselor at a Christian camp and my upbringing then anything else.

    Would you like to hear more about the Holy Spirit in your church?

    BTW Is it a coincidence that you ended your last two comments with ellipses and questions? Or is that a little quirk of yours?

    Always curious,

    By Blogger lars, at 6:06 PM  

  • I think that it depends on if you believe that God is ultimately responsable for what is good in the world and if you think that the devil is ultimately responsable for what is evil in the world.

    By Blogger Teresa, at 10:45 PM  

  • My two cents . .

    You live in the holy sprit, it's not over there someplace, it is.

    God is also here.

    Place Blame?

    Shakespeare once creativly said that the evil men do lives within them and after them or something like that . .

    iamnogeniusbut

    By Anonymous Justin Passin, at 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home