February 10, 2005

Birthdays and Coincidences

Number of people necessary for better than even odds that...


At least two individuals share a birthday23
At least three individuals share a birthday 88
At least one individual has your birthday254
At least two individuals have birthdays on same or consecutive days14
At least two individuals have a birthday in the same month5
At least three individuals have a birthday in the same month11
At least one individual has a birthday in the same month as you9

I had heard that it would take 23 people to find matching birthdays and decided to calculate it myself. I even found someone who did a little experiment to test it.


Errata: I wish Excel supported regressive functions. A few years ago I called Microsoft to report a bug and request help and they told me if I wanted a fix for that bug I would have to buy the newest version of Office. Not the best customer service I've ever received.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home